Desktop Fixed, Screen Resolution Fixed, Containers Fixed

Got my Computer Fixed. It cost me about Php4100, including tip and labor at PCexpress. I was planning on going to Villman to buy a new CPU and was prepared to spend Php16,000 but it looks like I dodged a bullet and won't have to spend that much for a Desktop until 2 more years.

for the record I got:

  • A new motherboard, MSI G4 IM-P28 G4 dd3/VIGL for Php2440
  • New ram, compatible with the new motherboard - 4G Kingston 1333 SODIMM ddr3 for Php1,200
  • Labor of Php500
  • Tip of Php100


When the guy opened up my CPU, the processor had its thermal paste rubbed off*. Those bastards who fixed my CPU around august or September screwed me over. Ill look for that receipt in my files and post it. I was too busy to test my computer, it would have failed within the warranty date if I wasn't so busy and fixed up my system later on. I freaking paid for re-application of thermal paste.

Today I installed Ubuntu 10.04.3 into my new desktop, because of my fear for the unity GUI's irreparable work on the 11.10 gnome desktop. I can't use my right click options, I don't know why. I got interested in 10.04.3 when I saw the ubuntu training material in the website referred to this version.

I was able to finally fix my screen resolution to fit my viewsonic va2226w 21.6" monitor (1680x1050). This is thanks to ubuntu geek xrandr and the original source . When i tried to see if I can do the same changes but this time with the nvidia driver, no luck. I really have to learn to compile a kernel and make my own driver (the way a friend helped me with one last time for a 64bit)

I also learned that the skillset or task I need to research more about is called Compiling a Kernel. This is helpful because in the future we are going to try to make everything our company uses linux compatible, particularly CentOS and Ubuntu. CentOS is the OS of many of the free tools

Airsoft chores.
I figured out how to transport my guns. Two 20"x20" balikbayan box joined together fit even my longest guns. unfortunately my mom's household finished all our packing tape, so I had to hold off on a very promising project.

Things I learned this week and last I posted (as many as I can recount):

  • Elastics is a way better PBX system that Trixbox,
  • I need to find time to learn and master bash scripts aka the Terminal.
  • More about what it takes to make an Ideal BPO IT and system.  (This reminds me I need to create a GAP analysis on monday).
  • More about networking, will get material about Huawei.
  • Getting better in reading between the lines in IT Resumes.  



*note to self, I didn't see if the guy put thermal paste. I assume it comes with the labor. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick