Mission of Honor Criticisms

The latest book of the honorverse series has got has been a bit frustrating me. It got to the point that I'm thinking of not finishing the book despite nearing the last chapters. I read the spoilers and decided to continue, anyway I'm looking forward to finally reading Heinlein's Starship troopers.

Cast of thousands problem - if a writer is doing this to a point of exhaustion. That the additional characters and POVs are not anymore interesting or unique. I understand templates and creating interesting variations within a template, but unfortunately there is such an ambitious attempt to create so many POVs that there is deus-ex-machina showing in how the characters all think.

Every separate nation has the same set of Metaphors. the frequency "riding the back of the tiger" by SLN and RMN I forget the third party that used the same metaphor. As compared to the frequency, like "words are wind" in ASoIF but its a reflexive metaphor for "BS give me something more reliable".

When I compare it to the large casts in ASoIF and Lost Fleet, AMoH has spiraled out of control, reusing material it should be tracking its expenditure.

Young Adult Dialogue - The dialogue is too childish. Childish in how sensitive it can be to the audience's perceptions and how round-about the conversation goes. The exchanges and the "internal humour" has only one voice, and it gets worse when "the cast of thousands" tends to have the same voice when it comes to humour.

Too many monologues - Instead of letting things be left unsaid, a long internal monlogue is a great way to disillusion me from the capability of the character's thinking than to awe me. Normal Conversations don't go that long, the frequency of the average person to participate makes my suspenders of disbelief chafe.

Super Hero problem - I feel like I should have gone through only a few novels of Honor Harrington then assumed she died like J*** ***w, after 5 books. At this level, having so many unique and exceptional advantages: Genetically modified, cybered, telempathic, master tactician, martial arts expert etc. she makes characters of Romance of the three Kingdoms seem conservative.

Pros. I read Honorverse for the ship combat. The detail and its attempts to clarify all scifi assumptions. The combat is much more fantastic than Lost Fleet with the 600G to 10,000G objects moving around, the amount of detail and technical considerations deserve much respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick