Watched Restrepo

I appreciate the work they do and I'm not an american. As a soldier your job is to be a good soldier (which is already a tough job) and be placed in these weird and difficult situations.

The negotiating with the locals was tough, and even though I would, (skeptically) probably, be more skilled in dealing with them I don't think any soldier can just put up for diplomacy and cultural appreciation lessons like that. What skilled diplomat would get into soldiering when diplomacy makes a ton of money in business? Heck a culturally adaptive and diplomatic person has a whole world of opportunities open to them in the business world, I think soldiering would be a choice that would require very rare and unusual set of circumstances.

The part about the dying and dead baby, holy crap. I mean your enemies are intentionally fighting you using civilians as shields/buffers. You just have to take the unfair criticism and all that irrationality that wants to simplify you as a murderer. Damn.

Oh well... I'm happy I'm not in their shoes. I love milsim but have no illusions of my lack of capability doing what they do for a living. I know and read of the conditioning and the circumstances they put themselves in, It is a job that really has a lot of cons more than the honor of doing one's duty.

Makes me think about how in math or real word situations there are Negatively incentivized situations. There are situations that in Game Theory lens the way its presently set up, screws people for doing good and rewards people for doing bad. And in JDM science, most people will fall through that trap and you really can't blame them for making the bad choice... neither does this makes them bad people. Thats what game theory and all these cognitive sciences are trying to do, see a bad situation and fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick