Biased against Short Sighted Selfishness

Altruism is some kind of selfishness, particularly one that works on the evolutionary motive of surviving with one's "tribe" as intact as possible.

In a thread talking about Dying for Atheism, my take was:
No, who dies for not choosing something?
I'd make a serious sacrifice for the freedom to make my own choices. I'd save dying for something like family and loved ones.

I find dying for Freedomes pointless, If no one I care about will benefit. Dying for an Idea for the Ideas sake is stupid or irrational (in the economic sense).

Note that Loved ones is the clear objective in any Smart Altruistic sacrifice, if loved one's don't gain to benefit by the sacrifice then there is some serious consideration and reflection in order.

Having my own kid, despite him being just some little thing kicking my wife's belly at 5am, is still something I'd die for... as for freedomes, our capacity to surmount adversity is pretty able as a species. We've evolved with less, and while we are still alive we can still change that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick