Blurring the Lines of Market and Social Norms

The wife and I got to discussing about her previous work. We were particularly looking at the circumstance of her former boss. When he first got into the Job, it was purely market norms (i.e. Pay and benefits) then the company began asking for favors from him (social norms) where he should show his commitment by investing in the same stocks as the company to show confidence.

Now that that things are not doing well, they got him for his contacts and not his character or work ethics. Short-comings have cropped up and because they got him with market norms, they owe him no favors to help him improve or fix him up... yet he did commit to the company a ton of money which traps him there.

This problem, when looked at this way is an example of how Blurring or Messing up the Lines of Market and Social Norms can be very problematic. This also illustrates how keeping the two separate, or at least clear, makes easier roadways out of such circumstances.

My take on the lesson is that, I get what I pay for especially in the two modes of resources: Social and Market. I also know that for every favor I ask, I owe just as much and shouldn't be squandering them.

Becoming someone who takes favors seriously or with a shrewdness as someone who handles large resources is a type of person who maximizes every resources he has and doesn't take any for-granted.

Someone who known to be as such, who is careful not to ask for help because he is the type to feel indebted is the type of person you would rather do business with. Such a person, who understands the VALUE of social norms is a person, less likely to squander exchanges but more likely to appreciate real value as compared to Bull-shit value.

Interestingly, such a shrewd person is more likely to be nice, generous (when reasonable or negligible resources are being asked) and able access for exchange very valuable favors.

Being such a person requires a high level of perception and empathy, as well as being creative (my definition of creative is capable of making something of value, from lesser parts).

Sleeping Habits. I need to sleep earlier, I have to check on my brother in the US.

Writing about RPGs again. I'm writing a paper, well it feels like a thesis, that brings up the argument about how Damage could be best abstracted. Its such a broad topic and I bring a lot of science regarding Physical Trauma and Weapon Physics. I feel it is more illustrative and helpful for game designers when trying to break it down to a system. Particularly since it makes a scientific method out of it, which prevents any particular system be copyrighted since it has been broken down to a methodology.

I look at Guns, Sports Data, and other Biometric information when humans are taking punishment and delivering it. Having closed my Gaming Blog, I wonder where should I put it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick