Figuring Out Gifts

its easier for me to give gifts to my bros than my little sister. Especially since mom gets her ANYTHING she wants. New laptop, ipad, iphone, art school in NY etc... Same goes with my folks. the last time I gave something to my mother, she looked disappointed because i wasn't able to get it in a level of discount that is in her expert bargain hunter standards. My father buys his own stuff, anything he could want he would buy and use, most of the gifts given to him end up with me.

The best gift hunter is my best friend, who has a good habit of giving gifts.

My wife and I had this discussion about gifts. Basically P100-200 gifts that hit the spot are very HARD to dig. Its a matter of inconvenience that jack up the value of getting these gifts. They rely also on timing and foresight, as they are only available on sales. It is easier to get Gifts with more impact on the persons lifestyle, collection, or convenience at around 400-700 mark.

It is only lately I am able to have time to think about strategy of gift giving.

Good Wallets are expensive (Php1500+) and requires a bit of personality analysis. Guys like me, who nerdy are very particular about wallets. if these factors are not taken care off, what results is a bad wallet throw-away gift. I personally don't like giving wallets because I don't know anyone enough to know the tiny specifics of what they are looking for one. Buying my current new wallet had me going through a detailed list of pros and cons.

Pouches, Belt Bags, and Easy Carry Containers are always handy, even if not immediately. A good quality belt pouch is useful in travel, when pants have a tendency to ride down because of a disappointing and uncomfortable waistline :(. the Military Dump Pouch is VERY useful and if it comes in black could be used for many civilian purposes. If your the type to be handed a bunch of little things you can't fit into your pockets and have to quickly put away, the Dump Pouch is an easy non-spill way to keep all of these things. I was given by my supplier as a christmas gift and its hella-nice.

Clothes Gifts. Guys like me like wearing the same kind of Clothes for everyday use. Personally they are Gray or Black Polo-shirts WITH breast pockets (ideally 2) (medium size) for work. they only work if you have direct information of what the person can ALWAYS use. So its useful to maybe post it in one's blog in one of the interesting side notes.

Fitness Gifts. At Php700 the Waterpack is an awesome fitness gift. of course getting a good deal on one requires me to go to my supplier for survival gear who sells at half to a third the cost of retail. Knee and Elbow pads are also great gifts at Php300 under the same supplier. Many survival gear are also fitness gear, so I go to my suplier in Quiapo for these things. Magazine pouches can easily double as cellphone holders (the black, khaki and gray ones).

Emergency Preparedness Gifts.
A first aid kit is an interesting gift to give. Especially in memory of Ondoy and when people go out for rough sports.
Flashlights. I don't think people can ever have enough novelty flashlights as gifts. Especially in an emergency. this includes the novelty key chain ones.
Utility Knife. At Php80-90 they are a useful gift for people who never get around to buying one. The smaller versions are great for key chains. Having multiple utility knives are helpful for various occasions. Useful in the car, on person, and filed with other tools and gear.
Multi-Tool. at about Php300 for a good brand, its a very useful gift. Although they are only great up to two per person. Useful being left in the car, on the person, and filed with their other tools.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick