Sit and Get Fat weekend.

Jin Roh. I heard of it in 4chan as one of the more serious anime featuring modern weapons. I liked the story and some of its action aspects. Over all a good watch but its slow pace is not for everyone.

My problems with it are a few Geek related ones:
  • - The technology It was too high tech for something that is supposed to be in late 1960s. Camera based night vision, Armor that is able to soundly stop SMG/Pistol and carbine rounds are very unusual.
  • - Tactical Doctrine. There was no dispersal, every Armored unit was carrying a Machine Gun. Machine guns are Squad weapons, 1 per 6-12 people are issued, and is primarily a "heavy" weapon not meant for urban combat. There are no tactical diversity on roles- no lighter fast reaction units, no variation in armament and individual unit roles, and no usage of combined arms. Basically the guy would go on a Terminator rampage.
  • - Fast for someone who is probably wearing 20The Heavy Armored unit. The armor can be realistically compared to the German's machine Gunner's armor 35lbs, the weapon looks like MG34 using belts (instead of magazines which are reusable, easier to reload, and more ammo conservative for urban warfare).
What I really like about watching it is that I got a great Idea for an urban, military police combat doctrine. It Posed the questions: how will you best tackle armed violent activist insurgents?

District 9. A good movie, with originality and freshness of ideas we haven't had in a long time.
Jumper. Watched it in HBO, and having never watched it before - I didn't miss anything. Push has more to offer.
Kiki's delivery service. Watched it again. Technically not a True Miyazaki anime, but he still produced it. Phil Hartman voiced the cat, who I missed because of all the laughs he gave me when I was much younger. A very good and inspiring movie for its time.
Ponyo. Fun with so much childlike wonder- of all the times I go geeky and critical. Growing up with Miyazaki's story telling helps me turn off my brain and enjoy the altruism of the ideal through the whole movie. Note that you have regress to a "innocent" state to appreciate this, so if you're too grown up you will not enjoy this movie (and the same goes for Totoro). Stay for the easy to remember lyrics at the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick