GMing is all about Organization

Growing up Gamer. I've been trying to work in my transitional state of Gamer to Business for a while now. I've always been a frequenter of the SJgames forums and like to look through questions I could contribute too and listen to the input of my interest. Slowly, I've become aware of what I can say about how my gaming have influence some important real world skills.

GMing I have realized is where I've first worked on my Organizational skills. Gming is hard work, especially for those who have a real passion for it. To those who know me well, my brother Melchior was the innovator of the Game Prep. I would, like a total idiot, run games in a fly and it would blow up in my face. My younger brother was the one who started organizing his ideas and really made the effort to systematize his game planning.

One thing I have to be strangely grateful for are: players who pushed my limits. When players munchkined, when they min/maxed, optimized, asked for things out of theme, and annoyed me with unusual requests had given me an unusual avenue to practice mental agility. Any GM with such patience and who wanted to please would go through these intellectual gauntlet battered and bruised.

Another factor that is key is internal family culture or inclination. Short attention and Curiosity runs in the family, there is also a streak of obsessive compulsiveness. Left unchecked can leave a very distracted and unfocused mental development, but allowed to focus and grow can lead to intelligence. Under these conditions, I feel, is where much of the Intelligence my brothers and I share come from.

Gaming in it self was not perfect and a way of life to be lived, but it did promote some seriously important real world skills: Organization and Planning. Pride and Vanity, can be attributed the mother of Perfection; this is why a GM would go to incredible lengths to make a perfect game, when he very well knows it can never be as he envisions it.

When young GM want to learn to be a good GM, strangely the skills they need aren't in a Gaming Book but are instead in a Business book. This is because Organizational skills are a practical skill that allows people to make definite progress in what ever they undertake.

I admit, I'm as sloppy as the next guy. Thankfully my childhood sensitivity has given rise to some foundation for empathy (which developed in my trying years in college). Organizational Skills along with rudimentary social skills from GMing are quite useful.

It doesn't even stop at a fancy set of skills, but visualization of how to be who we want to be. Its fun to imagine to be someone else, but after learning so much about characters it would be strange not to take to heart some key human virtues that can lead one to success (and is crucial in role-playing any heroic or exceptional individuals).

Anyway, another bunch of my reflections I just have to put aside.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick