Secrets of Unwrap UVW.

Leveled up. Ok I figured it out and I now know why its a closely guarded secret. For the laymen who read this, the tech term above is the surface mapping tool that allows 3d artists to place images correctly on a 3d surface. This is made really hard because of the complexity certain objects have and the hundreds to thousands of "faces" that need to be mapped. I have a new found respect when I see a 3d complex object. learning this has open up some new possiblities and how to fix some problems I've been having before. At least I now know how to apply an image on a face I am modeling.

I wonder if there is a standard for testing what I have learned. I want to know how far I have gotten. I know I'm already well beyond the 9 units of 3ds max I took up in school. But whats my level, at Unwrap UVW I feel like I've gotten a finger hold on to what may be a professional level but just a fingertip worth. What is left is to bring a number of fingers up eventually heave myself up to that level.


Professional Work. There are a number of upgrades I will be needing to do this job more effectively.

One primary upgrade I am planning to get is a monitor upgrade. A much Bigger monitor, up to P15,000 to 20,000 if I can muster it. Knowing how much time I will on the screen will make

Next is the Graphics Card. It may not help me to render faster but when I'm working on a complex object or scene it would be nice not to lag as I change angle many times. This is a bonus for my wife who is engrossed in a number of games in my little monster.

the 3d Mindset. Looking at all 3d graphics with a different set of eyes. "Can I do that?" "How long did that take them?" "What kind of computer must they have?" "How could they have cut corners?" "How many artists do they have working?"

Estimated progress. Hopefully 2 years down the line I can be professional and very well practiced in all intermediate elements. After that I should work on learning Torque or a game engine. In 5 years I hope to a skilled 3d artist.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick