Why does Napoleon Pick on Me?

Civilization 4. God, that tiny squirt annoys me in Civilization 4. In almost every game where there were French, this guy always goes out of his way to attack me!? I play the Nerd Emperor Justinian (Using Alexander's profile) and it just pisses me off when I try to make friends with this guy and will always without fail Stab me in the back.

Anyway, in this game, I took two of his 3 cities and someone else crushes his capital. I could have delivered the killing blow but I really wanted to be friends (or capture him with culture).

I tried a different strategy and became more aggressive. I can't help it anyway, aggressive is one of my special abilities, an advantages unexploited is a disadvantage. I don't like going into battle, I role-play a bit and have to give myself good reason to conquer or capture. At least I had my fill of stratagems.

Fantasy. What I day dream about is running my game and playing out the war scenes. From what I've studied I can describe a battle and detail, as well as know how the PCs despite their small force realistically affect the tide of battle. Surprisingly enough, challenges were practically never issued between leaders. The a-typical scene where commanders duke it out, never happens. Simply because an archer or the other side can kill the commander with a swath of javelins or arrows. Funny.

Anyway, imagining a well fed and paid army marching to war. the Fear and Anticipation in the air. Their leaders always trying to motivate them, ever vigilant of how they acted and the level of morale in the camp. Then there are the war stories of previous battles. Whose unit did what. Who got what spoils. Who broke and ran, or who faced the cavalry charge.

A bunch of tall tales told by the fireside. Soldiers feeling better or worse about the battles to come.



Then the big day arrives, or comes to soon. Commanders, shouting orders while soldiers rush to formation. The captains call out "advance" and the decarchs drum their shields as the march to make them sound larger. Commanders in the rear, watching giant chess pieces fall to place over the terrains. Runners always moving and scurrying in unarmed to give commands and intelligence to the other forces.

When the battle is engaged, the men in the front ranks catch their breath as the men behind them push them forward with their shields: ready or not they engage the enemy. The weight of multiple rows of men pressing their shield forward and stabbing and hacking with spear or shortsword. The men in the middle being crushed from both sides as they press forward. The weight of all these men adding to the force of the men in front.

Other units watch, preventing the cavalry from flanking them. In the far edge of the field, one of the enemies lines break, the soldiers are tempted to cut them down, but the commander reigns in his men. He hears it just in time and orders them to form into a solid block, bristling their pikes. The cavalry arrives to break the armies flank. Large Horses and Men fighting the "Sarmatian Way" with long spears more than 6 feet long. Average men would panic and run for cover, but these soldiers will have to stare these chargers down if they want to live. The commander, a grizzled vet tells his men to wait for his order. he moves to stand in front of the pike hedge which is quivering like water. His men are green, and he knows that they won't stand a charge unless he shows them how.

The horsemen are on them, the men behind the captain begin to shrink back. The captain, taking a spear on one hand, calls for a javelin. A soldier throws him one, he catches it and launches it at one of the cavalry men hitting him square and unhorsing him, his fellows riding over him crushing his bones. Quickly the commander draws his spear forward at its greatest reach.

He calls his men forward.

they do nothing.

He calls them again, this time he moves forward.

They are frightened. One of the Lancers spur forward, encouraged by the breaking formation.

The captain moves forward and meets this lancer head on. In a heart racing second, the captain thrusts his spear right through the horse, catching bone and rider. He manages to fall back, letting the spear's butt catch the ground, giving him anchoring him.

He calls out one more time. The men, awed, charge forward and raise their spears to cover him. The cavalry men swerve wildly trying to avoid the wall of spears.

Blood from horses and men fill the air with a dark spray of red.

Voting. Dad wasn't around so I brought mom to Bel Air to vote. I voted to. So i did my patriotic part, which i've done without fail since I was 18.

Anyway over ate a bit today. I'm neverous about going to the states, leaving a bit demoralized until I leave. I used to get as drunk as I can while on the plane, it makes the trip go faster... with my conditions I can't do that... unless I can get a sleeping pill over the counter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick