Getting stuff aired out

Leaving for Jersey. Even if my mom relented, my dad won't let it go. I have to go back to jersey. Funny that I'll be in time for Mark Almanzor's wedding. Folks came over this sunday and we were tired saying no. I know their side, its just they have to understand ourside as well: we know better what will make us happy.

Charles. yeah, i guess. Aesthetic is what makes the money. I can't get a job on my knowledge of history (especially since i have no degree in it).

Old Man. There was this iconic old man in tiendesita, when chat and I went there to buy some fruits. He was asking very casual and wore a walking stick and a rattan hat shaped kind'a like peter pan's cap. He asked me what province I am from. I told him my mom's from Ilo-ilo. He asked me then if I know what it meant. It came from Irong Irong, a bastardization bec. of the chinese accent of the time. He was pretty impressed. i was impressed that he'd ask such questions.

I wish I had my notebook (one of the rare times I didn't have it) and remembered his name. I wish i could show him what i've done for mahadlika so far. Its an interesting encounter, I wish I could meet him again when Mahadlika's 1st issue is done.

Unproductive. I hate my current works. They are not up to par. I don't want to put them up or finish them but I really just have to find a way to make them look better at the same time reinvigorate/re-inspire myself. Retouching is one of my better skills in PS.

The Byzantine Comic. I don't know why, but I was demoralized the other day about gaming. Thinking of quiting all together. Its not that hard, since I haven't invested allot of money into it, more of the money being in art related material. I'm sure everyone goes through the same problems and feelings at one point and another.

I'm already close to building a decent Mass Combat System that is transparent to GURPS. The Byzantine Comic looks good, even if its only the rough sketches that were done so far on the PSD. Its just that, all this talk of game and no one to play it with, not to mention that leaving for the states, and the depression I'm already fighting off as part of my meds side effect can be a little too much.

The mass combat system. I'll just rave a bit for my own pleasure. Miniature Wargaming is more about movement. Positioning and Initiative, is the struggle within an organized army. A trained group of men fighting together is difficult beast to master. Greater than the sum of its part, organized units effectively defend, attack, and move without getting into each other's way. When you are also fighting another trained group of soldiers, its not anymore about cohesion, but tactics.

Tactics, being who has the advantage given the factors on the battle field: may it be weather, terrain, psychology, resources, manpower or equipment. To a player, it becomes a matter of maneuvering these units like chess pieces, positioning them perfectly to executer a plan of action or draw out an advantage.

To my future players, just position your guys well enough to catch your enemy make at a mistake, and pounce on that opening with lance, bow, swords, axes and spears.

the units. Since its GURPS transparent, then the units are pretty much up to the training of the player's own abilities. A wealthy PC may give them valuable equipment, a skilled PC valuable skills and group training, a cunning player would have them as a valuable pawn in his many schemes. Many of which have precedents in Belisarius' Wars.

Mass combat is particularly fast. Planning to resolve it as fast as a regular DnD game (since opponent's tactics are already preset) or even faster.

Of course, there are also areas where individual combat prowess will be needed... and all other skills as well. as 100cp characters, it would be pretty easy to start out with a force of 50 men (with a lot of points invested in that role). Then divide it into 2 platoons of 20 and have a reserve of 10.

Oh yeah, i'll have an easy sheet that will make this experience pretty... well.. easy. I have some cards in the works also that will give description of actions, and the options that follows certain actions. Using up some board paper left over from the wedding preps.

PCs as heroic units. What is also so awesome about the Byzantine Game is the advantage of heavy cavalry and the rarity of good armor, a PC with probably a squadron or (if he has) awesome equipment (very wealthy) can take on platoons by himself. A charging heavy horseman, decked out with the good gear (not even the best) can break a platoon, lance the sergeant and cause the unit to fall apart. Or just crash through the ranks twice, crushing men under heavy horse hoof and spiked horse armor all while swinging axe/mace/sword at vulnerable heads (+1 to hit because of elevation). In good armor, thats DR 9/7 and thats practically no damage against the PC or his steed.

Too bad this is preped for after the 1st or second session. Too much to quickly for starting game, its better to ease into it all.


Dreaming. All this experience is different levels of gaming: from RP, tactical, strategic etc and my knowledge of old style computer games will let me be able to propose a pretty good game for Anino (and hopefully i have to money from my folks to put capital to it). Basically a game where you play in 19th century philippines. You can socialize a bit, sail ships, run towns or cities, ride horses, fight in various ways (sword, bow, knife, spear, on horseback, guns etc.) or fight with small forces, train men (to administrative, trade, social and combat skills) trade, politic and build things. A game set in Mahadlika. open ended sand box style game, with modules updated according to the plot of the the comic.

Play a priest, a bandit, a (no good) politician, a moro, a simple laborer, a soldeir, a principales, an illustrado. Become a merchant baron, a warlord, a captain, a savior, a saint or a villain.. be anything and play to your strength.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick