Careers are like Character Classes

Levels. It feels like an RPG. Illustration is hard work and tools of the trade really do matter. Looking at my tools, i see how 1st level I am in both skill and experience.

Pentium-D, 1G (to 512; it's screwy) Ram, 128MB video card, 9.75' x 12.5' screen, and a 3.5' x 5' graphite tablet. These stats would be roughly a 32pt buy level 1 illustrator. Contrary to a 25pt buy (with worse specs) or a 15pt buy (which is just a PC)

Tools improve my performance and helps make my artistic skills become more transparent with the digital medium.

Hopefully in a year i can save up and thus level up.

Here is how I see levels

Level 2. 2 G ram or a larger screen. Age x P1,000 month*
Level 3. Plus having both of what was in level 2
Level 4. A new work station or an assistant/temp/OJ.
Age x P1,500 month*
Level 5. A beginnings of a staff or a partner.
Level 6. A competent staff or a full time partner. Age x P2000 month*. Established Credentials.
Level 7. Both staff and partners
Level 8. or a beginnings of a studio.
Age x P3000 month*. Known in the Industry.
Level 9. a studio and a teaching career
Level 10. a real career
. Age x P5000 month*. Followed in the Industry.

*without taxes. Considered base earnings, not counting other sources of income (like teaching, seminars, lectures, etc.).

I expect to reach level 5 eventually, but I don't know if i'll ever reach beyond 6+ or even remotely epic levels. At least I have a keen grasp on the industry and what an artist should be capable of in a given level.


.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick