Fired Maid/Nanny, Learning about Hiring a New one, Current Situation

Out maid of 3 plus years was bad. But got worse as the years progress. A fact of being an employer of a maid is that you are busy making ends meet to be always on top of things, and managing the household help.

This is a Post I will be updating continuously because it is a GIANT Data Dump.

I believe, two to three households can share a pool of maids and maintain an attention to performance and discipline needed but thats another matter.

The Indiscressions of this maid/nanny was plenty

  • (Story)Does not Clean, only once a day when told to do so. 
  • Does not really pay attention or help my son, usually just locks the room and sleeps while he plays with her phone and toys. 
  • (Story) Fought with her sister, the maid of my mom, regarding her duties. 
  • She got paid 5k which was a lot, as this other seasoned maid is asking for 4k. 3.5k is the average. 
  • (Stories) My brother corrects, and many others do but she does not listen. 
  • (Stories) they say the maids room cannot hear the door bell. My mom refuses to believe it when a simple experiment of trying it out proved that it can be heard. Next time t 
Other Problems, the Other maid
Thats not the only problem, my mother's maid (the sister) is not as bad, but terrible nonetheless. They have a month before bathroom cleaning (which is twice a week BTW), laundry so backed up they dont have clothes, etc. etc... 
My mom wont let me fix it, but for my own survival (because she is my boss and I suffer her bad moods) we have to fix it. So we have to build up a unit of trained maids and apply the HR and Management training we have, on such a simple matter. 
This maid manages her "Tindahan" in one of my mom's properties. She manages it remotely, which takes up a lot of time, plus she is a single mom, and does not know how to take care of herself. She wants more money, then she should just apply for another job. 

Interviewing Questions 

To summarize these questions it is her homelife, duties and obligations AND her expectations. Gilbert helped me with this, but I found a very useful resource in my days working with Recruitment and HR. 

Costs of a Maid

When I calculated cost of living if she had to buy each meal here, it ended up 200php per day for a Total of 6,000php. This was assuming Jolijeep Prices of 50php meals. Its much cheaper to increase our food groceries from 8,000 to 10,000 vs a cash allowance for food. 

Training a Maid and Expectations
Its always needed to have a good batch of maids to begin with. When you have a good maid, be afraid of all the HR matters that can befall such a matter. So like in many such professions

Legally an employer can require of her, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week by labor laws - something that is quite shocking when I read them to understand some matters in my call center background. But in truth not many people can work like that, and this is just some space favoring employers.
Anyway, if you have experience with Job Description, then it comes in handy with this. If you don't be conscise and clear in the role she has and point out that ever week or every other week you will revisit the role.

The difference with someone who knows and someone who does not know how to train a maid is learning curve time. If you have the good habits of briefing, communicating, and creating a balanced discussion as well as writing these down and getting their approval you evolve best practices very quickly. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick