Niko understood

Last night was the first time, Niko came to some understanding with us. He would normally be unable to see people as people when he would get his hands or see a phone. There is that single minded obsession with the distraction the device gave or his need. It would also be the same when it came to milk.

So when chat had to withstand his curses and tantrum and refused to give in he went berserk. He went berserk for a long while, as his mother quietly and firmly told him that he should not grab things and that he should ask. I was sure this would have ended in the usual way, where he would just not understand and keep throwing a tantrum or keep crying.

Then the amazing thing happened: he was sorry. He was sorry and hugged his mom. Chat explained to what he should do and they played a computer game together. It was amazing for me, because I didn't know if I would ever see this kind of understanding.

Everytime he would have a tantrum, I can remember the feeling of doing the exact same thing when I was as old as 6. I would not understand and my parents, tired from work and the real world, would break under the pressure of my tantrum.

I was stopping Niko from scratching and hitting chat by holding him down, Chat angrily told me to stop, which brought me back to the times my dad was trying to show me how to do certain things while I was crying and fighting him, and my mom just told him to stop. I guess it was the same, in a way. I thought I knew how he thought and felt, and that I knew then I had no way of ever understanding who my parents were.

Strangely, niko understood something. I don't think i would have ever understood at his age.

Its such a small milestone, but I've always been waiting for the time I would not have to let him do the bad things, where he understood consequences and action. Hopefully, this marks a change, where I can stop him for doing certain things and show him what to do, and hopefully it has some impact to his behavior.

I was worried that the ability for him to willfully choose to understand would never come. That he would be a teen ager and still act in the same way being unable to emphasize, talk, listen, explain or communicate and compromise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick