Seeing my mentor go

Tomorrow is My mentor's last day, I really wish he didn't have to go. The practical side of me sees so much he can teach me, and of course there is the less practical side of me that just hates a good person have to go.

He has to go because he was dragged down by our previous Managing Director, he is accountable for the 100M the group of companies lost. He is awesome at analysis and a shrewd finance person but he was blindsided by someone who he felt he was responsible for. It was a sunk cost effect from there.

His flaws are small, compared to his strengths... but it was his flaws that did him in. I really will miss his guidance and his approval, he tries to understand the technology and that wish to understand is great. He will really try to understand your problem, and that is an awesome character trait.

In my mind he will always be the master strategist of an era far and gone that took me on an apprentice. I still follow his tenets up to know. He gave me a chance, where my mom's eventual betrayer/her judas, kept me in the dark and wasted me away. For that I will always be gratefull for that chance.

If there was only flaws he had in all his professional ability it was his ability to judge risk, calculate resources of time and action, and break the spell of bad information. I see the judge risk and calculate resources of time and action as one flaw, it is a flaw that prevented "winging it" and improvisation. A comparison to my father, who always improvised. The spell of bad information is something I don't know how best to describe or measure.

When the MD was feeding him bad intel, he doubted everything else but the MD. He even doubted data from 3rd parties who had nothing to do with the matter and had no motive to falsify their data. The bad data and all the conclusions it gave birth too screwed with him. It pains me to see how someone I looked up to was poisoned in such a way as to fall from so high.

Its fucked up.

MD is another story but one filled with lessons and regrets. This is an example of how someone so destructive and so false can worm his way into a company and destroy it almost irrecoverably. I'll write about him another time, its just so much to write about and so much to say and contemplate. Strangely, what made me survive him was my Mentor's lessons and tenets... tenets that failed to protect him. A complex situation and relationship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick