Corporate psychology: How to tell when your boss is lying | The Economist

Corporate psychology: How to tell when your boss is lying | The Economist

Over time in airsoft, I realized the Perception skills my Captain was trying to teach us had something to do with knowing where to expect certain actions and movements. In Counter-Deception training it is very much the same. Over time, when you practice looking and you take actions to investigate or to see how "truthful" the statement is hind-sight and promises are finally tested and things become more consistent.

In negotiations, the Deception is how much each is willing to pay. Behavioral Economics and Game Theory help screen for parts of behavior, wording, and how the negotiations are being handled. Now not all deception is bad, you don't want to tell a Merchant how much you are willing to Pay if you have other needs to consider... and especially when there the merchant will give you the highest price you are willing to pay at your loss and his gain. The Perceptive Loss or Cost should be very similar, and Perceptive loss is an irrational feeling, an emotion, that can have a tell.

Merchant's tell. Watching my Katpain haggle and my mom many times I've begun to wonder how futile it may be to acquire the merchant's tell. Personal, I like figuring it out. Then theorize what they could mean. Also, if there it is a skill that will possibly save my ass, if I really do go into sales so that I can work for commission instead.

Here is something interesting. When I was looking around a certain shop for parts. Before a particular merchant arrived, several others were a bit meek and quietly spoke the prices of the goods I've inquired about. Later, the alpha merchant came and was giving me prices of roughly 10% to 20% more of what the others were giving me. This alpha merchant had a strange stare, he would hold eye contact for an incredibly long time. to a point it was intimidating more than sincere. Finally when I acted on the cheaper prices of subordinates, when he was gone, I was able to go another 10% lower.

Is the Gaze of the other Merchant a Tell and what context would he give me much higher prices than those given by his underlings? In the merchant I frequent in Quiapo, when I got rapport with the boss all his prices were the lowest compared to the underlings, simply because he was the final say. In this case, there is an incentive or reason for the underlings to generate a sale or give in more easily to the customer.

Could the strong eye contact was an intention to seem more honest in price declaration? Possible to deter negotiation, since the prices can be much lower?

I do admit, implying wealth with that merchant actually generates Rapport. Because its a customer that can afford their wares, the question is what it takes to get them to spend.

Working for Sales. If I want to do all my social and deception experiments, no other profession is more likely to make me meet more people and use my skills... unfortunately I can't really change who I am. What I'm learning is a defensive strategy, converting it to an aggressive strategy will yield valuable insight, specifically since I learned how to Screen and Signal for honesty when I make a sales claim.

Sales would be great, it is just like scouting which I do in Airsoft. The guy taking the risks and encountering the hair-raising combat... but Airsoft is fun, Sales is work I'm not foolish enough to forget that KEY difference. We need sales, maybe talk to my mom more about it... and my sister is here (i'd hate to work with her).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick