Closed my Facebook Account

I already feel the benefits. Less time lost, less news coming my way, but overall its less distraction.

Mandarin Self-Learning - I can't hear the difference between the first, second and fourth tone. I really need to look through my material for more examples of how they really sound like.

I learned that Chinese produce subtle distinct sounds we don't make in the languages I'm familiar with: Japanese, Filipino, and English. Filipino and Japanese are easy because they cut and dry simple syllabic. The syllables are so distinct and simple you can't get mis interpreted. Because of this, the words become longer and longer as the vocabulary becomes more complex.

Compared to Chinese, it was like instead of compounding many simple sounds they made many more subtly different sounds instead of longer words. Basically you have to be linguistically more acrobatic and have to have a sharper sense of hearing (which I lack, a family thing).

Thanks to youtube I can look for a variety of people giving examples of the four tones.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick