Sun Tzu's Desperate Ground

In the later chapters of the Art of war, Sun Tzu talks about desperate ground a lot. There is something interesting when you pry open his technique and look at it with game-theory.

The psychology of desperate soldier is marked by the risks he is prepared to make. It is not just one soldier who is prepared to take great risk, but an organized group of them. Imagine a rows of men, moving with great purpose and simultaneous like a wave. Some may fall, but they do not stop to think of it, they know they will die at the slightest hesitation so they attack with out thinking and distractions. The opponent, reflexively takes the cautious and defensive stance. Instantly the desperate have seized the pace of the battle.

Desperate ground is marked by the quality of decisiveness in ordinary men. Decisiveness amidst the confusion and fog of combat, gives the warrior control of the battle's flow.

In the Art of War, these is the second and last anecdote with Sun Tzu. The way Sun Tzu communicates jumping feet first into risk is something I always think about.

It reminds me a lot of my situation. The situation here in the Philippines is that good jobs are scarce and entrepreneurship or "merchantalism" is the best way to achieve financial security. Overpopulation, Political and Economic monopolies are severely oppressing the population.

I was talking to two english gentlemen who own their own Business Process outsourcing. They remark about the "feudalism" because of the powerful endemic Patronage system and the sky rocketing population growth (2+% per annum; currently at 92 million while at 300,000sq km and more disbursed than japan as an archipelago).

I only realized how much it has hurt the potential of the country when I consider that people like me, would rather stay in the comfy shadow of my parent's enterprise than go out there and risk innovating. Its depressing to think that, even in the comfy shadow of my parents, this epidemic corruption has made me a stastic of all other scions.

All we can do is purpetuate our family's enterprise. The dynasties fight to survive in politics, for the same reasons they perpetuate the circumstance that drives them into politics. A cycle of evil and I'm part of it, hmmm.

...And I live on, day to day. I really gotta do something enterprising. Although I have a feeling, like my parents, being responsible for a life born into the world is the kick in the rear that seems to work best for us.

one truth I do take comfort in is that, Every Cycle has inefficiency. Even perpetuation of progress or dystopia have a drag factor. This is because, nothing is perfect. The inefficiency of the viscious cycle eventually slows it down, to a point where, hopefully, a change of direction will be possible.

too bad that the dumb ass polticians and clergy don't know that the more population that harder to control and the worse the backlash. Sigh... stupid stupid stupid... we all are, we are less stupid when we realize it tho :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick