My Success is not in GradSchool

I've had a long talk with my parents about Gradschool.

My parents, did not go to gradschool.

In the Philippines there is a notion that education is the gateway to success, but at a certain point it is the only path to success people know. EastwoodDC said it best in my opinion...

Higher Education is anything but a placebo. Learning itself is a critical skill which is gained through study. That study might be biology, business, physics, physiology, zoology – even Walt Whitman. A college degree does not mean a student has mastered a subject, rather it is an indication that the student is teachable and capable of jumping through the higher hoops of their profession. - Eastwood DC


Unfortunately, in the Philippines, education has mutated into something else. Instead of giving the people initiative, and adaptability the quality of teachers and educators have fallen so low that it doesn't promote these ideals expressed.

When business educators participate mostly in purely speculative instead of testing out their ideas against the constantly evolving and innovating business reality, you have instead the opposite of what DC was talking about. You have a culture quite content to go by the book and unable to innovate.

This is what is very depressing and true about the Philippine Educational System. People think it is the Easiest way to advance, and it has progressively poorer and poorer quality of educators. Factors of tenure, a terrible understanding of the empirical principal, people unable/unwilling to update their knowledge to at least 2 years current (typically 6-10 years obsolete).

People have stopped questioning their educators, tradition has stifled innovation, and the schools are complacent and uncompetative because the disparity of taxes kill off all their secular competition.

I don't want to be part of that crap. Because, its crap. I know better than my teachers because, I seek to prove it in Business Reality and go further by paying the price of failure for my hard won knowledge and insight. These arm chair "generals" have never paid that same price and will never know the value of the words they haven't even learned to heart.

Intelligence.

I am not smart, and thanks to my mediocre highschool abilities I learned that early.

What I learned by not being that smart, and by actually having to learn to adapt to just catch up is that I chose to be adaptable because I am not as naturaly gifted.

what Evolution proved to me, is that adaptability and not specialized special abilities gave humans the edge. Intelligence is supposed to be a tool of adaption, by manipulating your surroundings in order to give you more options and more opportunities.

Intelligence and processing is a wonderful gift, but when you are ahead of the curve, you come to hit upon a truth in Game Theory and human motivation - reaching a level of equilibrium or what people would call complacentcy.

Choosing not to be in equilibrium/complacent is a matter of perspective. As a family man, I am more motivated, as a Geek and Nerd I have my own motivations to prove my abilities and my theories using my own Ideas and Principals, and my own identity (cultural identity) leads me to find a way to change my surroundings for the better of my own people and the future of my own family.

There is an idea that formed and I learned to put words to as I talked to my father over lunch. That as we grow older, we don't grow smarter or wise, but instead embrace the certainty of exprience and shy away from the uncertainty of what is different and uncomfortable.

My family as entrepreneurs/innovators, succeeded because they chose to be different because of their need to carve out economic security. Difference, discomfort, and challenging situations are what makes up life, and shying away from that is what stops life from being about growth and adaption.

The principle of nature is summed up as Evolve or die. this is not a Philosophy, but an observable, testable, and verifyiable truth about how evolutions works. this is the science, the most rational and pragmatic truth about life, that we either grow or die.

Looking into who I want to be in the next 10 years, as I define myself as an Adult at 30, I learned that my patience for those unable to use reason, and empiricism is very very tiny. This is because delusions can suck the entire life out of an individual, and cause other individuals around them to fail.

I want to fight, I want to be bloodied by the failures of my attempts and to carve out a future for my own family with the strengths that I have identified as my own and overcome my limitations.

I also want allies in this. A solo victory is a victory forgotten, short lived, and very very small. A victory as a group, lasts and changes the landscape for the better.

Summing it up in a point of view, life is about kicking ass and taking names.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick