Self Medication

A friend almost had a heart attack. Almost can be both a really small or big deal. The thing is, it was good that were were generally level headed enough to understand what was happening. Our friend was in his early 40s, suffering many heart and respiratory conditions, he's taking maintenance, and he hasnt been in any previous strenuous activity. Suffice to say, when he came, suited up and walked to our base camp he almost collapsed.

Logically what could have happened was a heart attack. Especially when blood pumping and the heart working so hard was already making his world spin. Then I remember that he touched on the physical preps the other guys who were making: by drinking a lot of gatorade. C'mon there was already a study about gatorade and its effect on giving children stones, this is salt we're dealing with. Combined with a 40 yr-old terribly out of shape and obesse man: you're asking for a heart attack.

Anyway, a personal trait of this friend is that he keeps things nice and slow. So when rest was at hand, cold Ice water, his car's airconditioning and the rest of us dis-arming him helped stop it from spinning.

It was pretty foolish of us in general to have let him do such a thing. Personally, when he left my house at 1:30am (when I had to wake up at 6am and had to wash the dishes) I was telling him to take it easy and not take the self medication too seriously. My prep didn't consist of drinking a ton of gatorade, instead I just wanted to prep and have a good night sleep... unfortunately nothing ever goes your way despite preparationg. Interestingly thats an important lesson (prep vs unexpected trouble) and I find myself having learned a lot with the experience. That prep vs improvisational balance is so very important. I know I could have done a better job preparing, but the circumstance regardles of what I could've done, didn't put me down to having fun.

Anyway, I was very patient from tying his shoes, fixing his belt, and generally "squiring" only to help his psyche. If he has to have any hope of moving forward, these small things which may seem childish is important. In combat loading, we have to help each other get ready by spoting a ton of things we cant normally see because of our safety equipment getting in the way.

I really have to organize my approach and make a list of things the alterations lady should put. One of them would be suspenders. Anyway I gave him my suspenders, I have to get myself a new one.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick