Magic

Its like a wasted P80. The Smart Bro bandwidth sucks half the time (although it feels like most often). Damn, PLDT is making me jump around hoops getting my internet connected. I'm waiting for my data would be received and its been zero for the past 20 mins. At 10P per half hour I'm pretty ripped off. Not only is this expensive per minute but the Internet can't connect while I'm on the clock. I started trying to write this since Lunch!

Damn still no internet and my palm is able to access the smart internet better than the smart bro, which is making me feel worse about smart bro and the problems getting internet here.

Get my juices going. I'm in a lame position right now and even if my gaming projects would normally get my juices going, what would be the point? I don't want to get to a depressed state but I'm not in a good position to act on what I know will get my juices going. Looking for potential players has been what I've been doing for so long and I've always met with poor success.

Eventually I'll be looking for players again and probably find never enough (at least 2). I'm a dinosaur, I've evolved in an era that doesn't make me fit anywhere in the present. History and Mystery loving players are hard to come by and the hobby has few enough players as it is.

I have a game I plan to prep in a couple of hours. I recently learned that projects should have very short time lines. The shorter the better and finishing it early gives more potence to my momentum to get other things done. This level of self understanding is very usefull in maximizing my productivity and for my scions, who will have the same disposition.

Character Creation. I plan to make a character creation thing but I'm going back and forth with the thoughts above.

The Game I planned to run. I have some game modules and having read ASoIaF got me some Ideas. I plan to use banestorm or something like it. I don't want to use Westeros because I'm worried about the detail. Detail can be an advantage or a disadvantage for a gm. Very industrious or resourceful players use details against GMs but they can also make . Smaller cast, I'm used to

Old man's ranting. Magic and Education goes hand in hand. The image of schools of magery is an aberration of how things works. Normally imagination works towards possiblities and alternates given a few key misconceptions: like faster than light travell, magic, dragons etc. etc. Strangely Harry Potter works pretty well, in that magic requires a very developed support/industrial base. To think harry potter works better than many other DnD based fantasy settings is quite a surprised for me.

People continue to underestimate how hard it is to develop sufficient HDI (Human Development Index) to allow for people to allow for a numbers of magic using peoples. The current Discussion I'm part of in the SJgames forums is talking about demographics and magic.

Basically what happens is magic becomes science when there is so many mages and there are no more magic-faking charlatans. Magic is not about the ability to break the laws of physics: magic in stories is about Power, Awe, divine connection, arcane mysteries, etc. etc. Magic in Games are just special rules for making things that shouldn't work.

In the end it is all about illusions and dressings, the modern mind today has a bunch of misconceptions derived from short-cutting through knowledge that would take patience and practice. If we are so ignorant today, why would people think magic would be any easier than taking calculus or trigonometry?

I know its a fantasy, but every fantasy works with several key/fundamental truths, ignoring many of them just makes the whole thing mental masturbation. I guess I get this mindset more and more as I work towards a problem solving mind and many people i know would be pissed if I brought up these few truths and say I'm a kill joy. Working on possibility keeps us grounded and stops us from running away with fantasy. I know the temptation is very strong but if we want to kick ass, we have to kick our own first and get our heads on straight.

Games serve an end, not only to entertain us but to hone several key skills. A game of useless skills is useless and a luxury. This is 2009, and this is a time of few luxuries.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick