Some Crazy Ideas

A different Approach to gaming.

Growing up, a lot of things change. one of the things I plan to change is how I enjoy my game. As a GM who is obsessed with preparation, one thing I have not yet explored is recording games in a way that it is easy to watch for non-gamers. I know video editing, I'm technically proficient enough to find certain means, and I have a good bunch of players. I don't run LONG campaigns, and instead focus on short adventures. Now, there is youtube the internet, and there is a large enough community curious to see other peoples games.

Challenges:
  • Recording the video. Web cams are sufficient, but I also have a phone cam and my digi cam with 1g of memory (and probably borrow my wife's). Having more than 1 POV and multiple sound recorders will help ensure clarity, and accuracy. Another challenge with the webcam is the format. Ideally it is already compressing/capturing in a format that is efficient. I still don't know much about my webcam. I'm going to start researching it over the week.
  • Sound. To have a boom mic would really help, even just a make-shift one. Although I should seriously consider what can be a good compromise or available cheaply. I have a budget of P500 ($10).
  • The game. The game it self is what the video is about. Already I see that story telling through RPG and recording it effectively with a few cameras would be pretty difficult. I'm sure we will have to have gone through a couple of games to get the mood, prep, and the appeal just right. Still, I have a feeling this would work as a medium. If just for the very small niche of gamers who have a serious and not over-dramatic story to tell. I have to seriously think about what qualities would there be in a game that can be expressed easily without prerequisite knowledge of the game setting. Subtitles come to mind, in the middle of the video. Along with the game a script should be built around it so that I know what to work in or out of the game. Game sched should be well managed (well being an understatement, in actuallity it should be masterfully managed).
  • Video editing. This may be the easiest part IF there is more than enough shots available. The thing is, if there isn't any shots available, I have to probably put in a voice over.

The Pros and Cons (I can think of right now) of Recorded Gaming.

Pros
.

  1. A new level of expression. Contrary to the 1st Con, it is different and brings a very different dimension to the game: its people. At the level of observing the game, it becomes its own scene. It being enjoyable should not be focused on the RPG story but in How the game is played/enjoyed or why.
  2. Game focus. Cameras and Knowing things are being recorded "Should"(theoretically) keep people in character.
  3. Keeping Record
  4. Anything worth doing is hard.

Cons.
  1. Very difficult to translate. The gaming experience is a subjective interactive experience. Watching it is not how it is meant to be enjoyed.
  2. 2- Multi-tasking nightmare
  3. Very Difficult preparation.
  4. it will take some tries to get this format right.


Preparations.
  1. Camera Check. Check all cameras, their lengths of recording, their sound range, and their Point of view. Try setting up a camera "web" to see how it will all look.
  2. Sound Check. Can all players be heard? How clearly? Are there problems with the Bs and Ps like in regular recording?
  3. Players and Game Check. All the materials should be available online. Character notes and challenge notes.

I'll continue this is in my Game in the BRain blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick