Darklands

Darklands. is one of my favorite games growing up. It is unique at a time where games were focused in fantasy and no one wants to take the effort to study up on history. As a catholic school boy, I was pretty interested in the light it played for the catholic church. Growing up in Opus Dei taught us to be intolerant of other religions, and I could practice it in this game where I sacked the City of Wittenberg in the vain hope to destroy the city and prevent the protestant reformation before 1517. It was easy to be a zealot and an ignoramous thanks to youth, the game came out at around 1992 and I remember playing it at around 1994 making me around 15 years old and incredibly emotionaly and socially retarded for my age (thanks to Opus Dei).

It reminds me of how grateful I am to History and learning how to get my self interested into a subject with my own imagination.

Mount and Blade is partially inspired by this game. This gives me insight to the makers and their tastes. If you find the rating is game spot and if you are a great fan of games from back in the day, you know that game play is much more than just graphics. The rating of 6 out of 10 is abhorring when you consider these so called "critics" are suppoed to see through the razzle dazzle and to the relevance of a game to the state of the game industry.

  • "As I mentioned before, we were very much influenced by the feel of Sid Meier’s Pirates!, along with other games such as Darklands, The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, Elite 2, and older Koei strategy games like Ghengis Khan. Each of those games does certain things very well, but we are especially fond of having lots of freedom and replayability." -Yavuz


Study and Work. I've been learning a ton of things lately. I've been learning more about Mental Ray, 3ds Max bugs and potential problems and more about Computers. Among other things I'll be learning, I have to study up on Flash, After Effects and Premier. I've been checking the cost of the orignal liscence of it and OUCH! Adobe PS CS3 is $700, thats roughly P35,000. Thats just Photoshop, it is a HUGE capital investment for its potential gain unless you are a kick ass artist. ? I wish these guys would add to some community support for their progams for these artist who can't afford this, just like Torque that has special liscence costs for independent game designers and companies. They basically charge $200 for small business owners for 1 "seat". What constitutes as small business BTW in their terms is a company that earns less than $200,000 annually (thats P10,000,000).

Thank god for GIMP, but I wish GIMP was easier to learn. Right now I'm trying to figure it out, I guess Philippines Schools should push for GIMP, if only to give their graphic artist a better chance to survive. Heck they should push all the Free Technical Software.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick