Played THe witcher and Gothic 3.

first impression of The Witcher. Its what they say about it in the Xplay podcast. Although i don't find any problem with the dialog, despite having a bad script; like the old man saying "babe" in a dark medieval setting. My first impression of the combat is that it is counter intuitive, I can't just click and attack... but I don't like waiting to get hit and I can't figure out how the "timing" is supposed to work. I've checked the manual and it doesn't give any tips on how it is supposed to work.

My overall first impression is: needlessly complicated. I know a lot of work was put in the styles and the combat complexity, so I'll work on acquiring the taste for it. Other than that, it is easy to get lost in the game.

first impression of Gothic 3. a 2005 game with 2001 concepts. The Huge shoulders and stocky character designs are not that cool anymore. Everyone is stocky and buff, even the mages. The character art style is painfull to look at for me. "less is more" is what should have been said to the character design team.

replaying Oblivion with my new Graphics Card. Yes, I splurged. It could have been the cost of a new 17" LCD screen, a Maxed out Ram upgrade and XP Home Edition OS. Instead I opted for the Inno3D GeForce 9600 with 512MB dedicated video card ram and DDR3 speed. Holy F*ck I can play Oblivion the way I've never played before (at the Fr*king) Highest quality. OMG, time to get lost in oblivion again... well not exactly.

New Graphics Card. Well for me it is a 2 two birds with one stone kinda deal: Games to play for stress (and GMs that have a fickle sched) and Powerful Video processing when rendering complex models. The great thing about a 2008 computer model is that it will still be pretty standard for another 4 years and it is designed to be combinable with another of its kind to augment its Video Ram.

Working on an Indi Game. Before a game comes to be, especially from a dreamer who is on the right career path it takes about 11-15 years before actualization. I feel that there is about 3-5 years of working through the ranks, within that time 2 years of studying sh*t you never knew you would be learning by yourself, and meeting/looking for like minded people who you can work with (simple trades of expertise).

Putting on paper what the target of the game is and to list down all the problems that will shoot this dream down are two of the longest more painful tasks in any beginnings. Studying for it is not the painful part... but the part that get eats at you because you don't know sh*t and you're lost between the world of theory and application.

... still despite turning 29 this year, I'm happy i'm in this career track. Given the economic crunch the world will be feeling, leaner and smaller game companies may have a new break since electronics purchases should slow down since it was one of the expenses that triggered the sub prime problem in the first place.

So hopefully computer power doesn't get more powerful... instead more efficient and portable.

Mahadlika Website. Around this time I'll be working on my mahadlika website. Work requires me to relearn a lot of my old skills and website making, with super internet at work I can find more helpful tutorials and information to aid my digestion of knowledge. Looking at my calling card and what I know I can make, hopeully I can design a pretty simple but visually appealing website to showcase mahadlika elements.

I better work on my own table top game system for it just for the purpose of understanding how the game/setting scales to real life. Its not a serious game system but it will help provide a realistic base for the computer one. One of my targets for the Mahadlika video game is a simulationist-style where characters get tired and this limitations affect the strategic thinking of the characters. Then there is the real-world limitations where characters perform (like running, jumping, climbing, survival and physical damage*) actions ranging from levels pathetic, mediocre, trained, proficient, skilled, expert, and mastered (not even at the level of olympic record). The game won't require special or exceptional abilities but the strategic use of real world abilities to create a realistic affect.

Planning to use both game-deus ex machina or "fate" game elements and character's own skill (different from player skill) to help survive certain aspects.

Basically skills are important and difficult to master, but you need a lot of different skills, and certain skills require certain levels of proficiency to achieve certain long ranged goals. All of this and a simple combat system that can become complex if the player plans to work on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick