Not a Review of NWN2, Just my adverse reaction to fantasy

Playing Neverwinter Nights 2. Comming from a facination of historical warfare and a well informed understanding of medieval life and economy I am really forced to turn off my brain while playing the game. When swords are bought up i get a nasty reaction in my head "Swords were in decline when Full Plate was around, How can there be a wizard in a village when even at its highest population it can't support his profession, whats with magic acting like technology, why are the village houses so close together they are usually small plots of farm land appart? ". I know its a fantasy but looking at the game and seeing it as a rigid system of fantasy disillusions me greatly. When there are thousands of magic swords when having just one with a poetic ability would be just enough to awe. When every piece of equipment is magical, doesnt make magic special anymore... it dizzies me. As I play the game I find myself writing equipment packages for a realistic 11th century warrior (typically a crusader). The amount of metal armor disturbs me as well. When an army has 80% of its combatants with no armor in the Dark ages to early middle ages, padded in middle ages... so much steel kinda hammers at my wall of realism.

I know its a fantasy and I gotta not think about it... but this is the only game I haven't played and I NEED to play computer games and I need to relax cause soon work is coming and we have to overtime to catch up.

I just wanted to finish the game, end it all. I found a good combo based on Table Top Strategy... basically BUFF all the way. Druids with Bark Skin, Stone Skin (A spell which has a very expensive material component in the Table Top Version), Extended Buffs, and Jump into combat. A cleric + druid makes a great team even if it IS redundant. Since martial weapon proficiencies are just 1 feat: forget the divine feats (which takes to much time out of fighting to use and your stats are too low to benefit from it). I just like war domain for the Enlarge Person, with reach and Tactical Expertise flanking heaven IF you have the patience to coordinate.


Graphics Card. Been reading my mother board manual, especially the RAM and Video Card section. My video card is 4 years old. It is about time to replace it. My mother board can go probably 2 more years. It can only go as far as 2 Gig Ram (2 RAM chips that are 533Mhz and 1G each). The approved video cards are pretty old (about 2006) but it says that it can run cards which are PCIe x16 and AGP... anyway I plan to bring the manual with me.

2006 is when witcher and oblivion first came out (witcer reached English speaking audiences at 2007). I plan to get a 2007 graphics card that should last me till 2011ish... hopefully. I've been checking it out, my budget could only go up to 256MB DDR RAM... although what is just as important as the ram is the MHz.

Dealing with computer hardware should be a highschool requirement or at least an elective. Its such a useful technical survival skill I don't know how you can live without it unless you have money to burn.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick