Two Worlds: Long Discussion.

Long discussion. Archer and my Uncles and Aunts. Archer wants to live in the Phils, despite growing up in the states. My Tios and Tias believe it only gets worse back home.

Two opposite views, where I was kinda pushed in the middle of discussion. There was Archer who wanted to live in Davao, saved up money to buy property on a calm and beautiful cove and sees so much potential, not to become rich, but to live well.

There are my tio, who have left everything to carve a life out of America. I know how they feel, and thinking back home has no hope makes the decision much easier.

But in the discussions (that overwhelming went for four hours). I found myself defending and re-affirming my decision to stay with my wife,and fight for my home.

Its all about happiness and what we all believe in.

The Philippines Doing Well..Despite all the hardships they sensationalize in the Philippine TV channels here in the states, we never hear the good news. Is there proof? Depends who you ask.

In all my research and the futility of accuracy and getting a sure answer, interpretation and perspective will always color all information... nothing is black and white.

I can't tell people it does well. That would be an outright lie. Better, I can say, but not well. Corruption, of Dynastic Proportion, and the class struggles will be a constant. Things don't change overnight, and Corruption in Philippine culture stretches back to our prehispanic ways. 333 years of more wrong under another country will not make the transition of a good people/culture any easier. Mis-information and Propaganda instituted by another Imperial will make it a herculean task if not impossible even with the Internet and Mass Communication.

But, nothing is really for certain. Things can go bad, really bad. Class war could erupt and destroy the islands leaving outside powers to pick its pieces and claim it as their own.

But nothing happens if you don't try. "you cant win the lotto unless you buy a ticket"

Shooting for a long shot may be the only chance the country has, but thats a gamble with a price no one can afford to pay: their future, their children's future, and their children's children's future.

There is so many perspectives in this endeavor that will require a very spiritual and very intuitive counsel to make any sense out of it.

In the end you making a choice about life, in what your willing to sacrifice to achieve happiness.

Mahadlika. I've wondered why Tadeo uses swords, or why would I use an archaic and outdated device as my characters signature weapon. As a realist and a history buff I know all its failings as a weapon in modern tactics and warfare. The setting being gritty will show all the disadvantage of using such obsolete devices for war or survival...

In the sense that we all cling irrationally to a method, a memory or an affection. Tadeo is well schooled by his ancient teacher in the world and reality, he knows how much easier it is to win with a gun BUT he still clings to his swords. hist father's swords, his fathers way, even in the realization of its in effective ability to protect what he believes in...

But with every swing, and every fight, he puts his life on the very edge for something incredulous to believe in: that he will win. Like believing he can fly without wings, like believing that god will help him, will help his people, despite an immortals experience shaping his thoughts to know better.

Why we hope so much, it will lead to our certain demise and to surrender would be the most painless answer.

"I fight with swords. 'Cause I can still kill you with it, I just need to be faster and smarter than anyone else has ever been." -Tadeo.


Classes.
The poor are forgotten, the elite are indifferent, and those caught in the middle have to make a choice: stay or leave. Nothing good came out of those in power as far as the history of the mahadlika stretch, now things have changed, the lucky, the harder working, and the smarter had paved the way for a new generation.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick