Addicted

Mount and Blade. I'm so addicted to this game and really love the experience of it. Its really about my background and my interests. I one of those few who loved and played Darklands (historical open-ended RPG set in medieval Germany), one of many who played Sid Meiers Pirates, and love low powered/ realistic settings.

I not only like the game but the financing model of taleworlds and goals. The game doesnt try to achieve to much. Most of the time, i'm so caught up with the games central element (mounted combat) that i don't know all the other factors they put nicely in is coming into play.

I love the mounted combat, the combat is fairly simple and has a moderate learning curve. It also makes a ton of sense, the advantage of mounted warriors is undeniable in this simulation-like setting.

recently I've accumulated a number of mounted followers (who cost an arm and a leg to maintain). They're from Knights, to Caravan Guards and Mercenaries. Immediately, from the start of the game we charge down against our foes shattering their ranks. Those who wander away from their group are picked off by the horsemen who circle dangerously around them. Our movements actually force the AI of the footmen to clump together making the the ideal target for a rogue charge into the mesh.

The game physics are good, allowing me to swing my sword on horseback sweeping the blade across the guts of two adjacent stragglers. Some blows are devastating enough to knock them down, as my course bears down on them it rears suddenly as if it is fighting against my spurs to urge it forward. I can quickly shift to my lance for reach and impale my opponents even when my allies clump to closely to reach with my sword.

Its awesome, the detail is rich and the possiblities endless.

I keep thinking, this is the kind of game the Philippines should be producing. The financing model fits about right, the overhead and the cost of production is an advantage here, and we can really work on niche content (like Mount and Blade) in terms of rich gameplay without the need of flashy graphics or copying of the success of another game.

Computer processing is plateau-ing it's about time we take care of the limitations that figure into our strengths.

I really have to get the guys to try this game. I know the historical enthusiasts would love a game made by Byzantines.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technically I'm done with the project

Gurps Mysteries

330mg of Caffeine will do the trick